Opening remarks of Dr Matshidiso Moeti - 1st WHO Africa Health Forum side event - Using eHealth to accelerate UHC and SDGs
• Honourable Ministers;
• Esteemed partners;
• Ladies and gentlemen
• Warm welcome to all, panelists, happy to hold this consultation with our partner International Telecommunications Union (ITU) at the 1st side event of this inaugural AFH.
• Makes this historic occasion; look forward to input from panel and participants on using digital services to accelerate UHC and the SDGs in the African Region.
[Using eHealth to progress SDGs]
• Support for digital solutions, eHealth in several WHA and Regional Committee resolutions (WHA58.28; WHA66.24; AFR/RC60/5).
• First Forum for Strengthening Health Systems for SDGs and UHC, Windhoek, December 2016 adopted Action Framework to guide countries to strengthen health systems, in line with resolution at 66th Regional Committee for countries to implement programmes to support SDGs, increase investment in UHC.
• Here, eHealth identified as critical to impact on health systems and services provided to populations.
• More and more countries in the African region continue to utilize eHealth systems as part of regular health services provision.
• Leading eHealth solutions in the region include mHealth, Telemedicine, eLearning and social media